The American settlers who came to Moore Lake in the late 1800's had a summer fishing camp on the western shore of Moore Lake, south of Black Lake Creek. They lived in tents but later built summer cottages, some of which are still standing and used today.
The area around the lake had been heavily logged in the 1800's and has grown in quite a bit since then but at that time, the highest point was a favourite spot to sit and have lunch and became a lookout point for the settlers.
Here are some images of the pavilion built up there (by AD Clark who owned the point and area around it) as well as some other photos were all taken in the early 1900's by the American settlers who owned in that area.
Please note that the "Roost" and surrounding cottages are on private property and the current owners will not tolerate any uninvited trespassers.
Many Thanks to the Staples and Keller families for providing the photos for our site.
Looking south towards the river mouth
Just north of the Roost
Picnic and napping up at the lookout
Ed, Ruth and Phoebe Staples circa 1920
Photo taken up on the Roost looking SW towards the Wessell's Farm and the Gull River south towards Norland early 1900's